Picture
The tunnels cut through solid granite, and are part of the trail system - remember to bring a flashlight - It is pitch black and there is a little water seepage form above.
Othello Tunnels Provincial Park

This park contains a 135 hectare land base. It is a popular tourist attraction for the town of Hope and provides viewing, walking, fishing, and picnicking opportunities. The hiking trail links to the historic Hope-Nicola Cattle Trail. The engineer Andrew McCullough was an avid reader of Shakespearean literature, and used characters such as Lear, Jessica, Portia, Iago, Romeo & Juliet to name stations of the Coquihalla section of the line.

In the early 1900’s, the Canadian Pacific Railway decided to link the Kootenay region with the BC coast by rail. Andrew McCulloch was hired as the chief engineer in May 1910. He had been involved in many CPR projects, including the Spiral Tunnels near Revelstoke.

McCulloch took on the challenging task of building the railway over three major mountain ranges. The Coquihalla subdivision included 38 miles from the Coquihalla Summit to the junction with the CPR mainline across the Fraser River from Hope. This section boasts the most expensive mile of railway track in the world: $300,000 in 1914! The construction was done almost exclusively by hand with the assistance of a few horse drawn scrapers and some black powder. His assistant engineers named the railway “McCulloch’s Wonder”.

The greatest challenge of this route was the Coquihalla gorge, just east of Hope, where the river had cut a 300-foot-deep channel in solid granite. Other engineers had suggested a mile-long tunnel by-passing the gorge, but McCulloch chose to build directly through it. Hanging in the gorge in a wicker basket, McCulloch surveyed the canyon for a straight line of tunnels that could be dug simultaneously. Cliff ladders, suspension bridges and ropes allowed workers to complete what is, to this day, regarded as a spectacular engineering feat.

Many of the passengers on the Coquihalla line came expressly to see and photograph the station boards and to send postcards from the stations’ post offices as a souvenir. This added an ironic touch of gentility to this adventurous journey.

The Kettle Valley Railway was officially opened on July 31, 1916. The line operated both freight and passenger service between Vancouver and Nelson, but the operation was plagued with snow and rock slides. In a two year period in the 1930’s the line operated for only a few weeks.

On November 23, 1959, a washout was reported just north of the tunnels. The 400-foot washout was too large to be filled in one day, and numerous other washouts added to the troubles of the maintenance crews. The line was closed and never reopened; it was officially abandoned in July of 1961. The tunnels and surrounding area became a provincial recreation area in May of 1986.

Much of the modern four lane Coquihalla Highway is built upon the original rail bed of the Kettle Valley Railway. Travelling at modern highway speeds it is difficult to imagine the formidable task of constructing a rail route through this rugged section of BC.

As you drive along the highway, you may notice some small signs in the shape of an old steam locomotive, with Shakespearean names. These signs commemorate the approximate locations of the Kettle Valley Railway stations along the highway.

Picture
Coquihalla Gorge - with trees clinging to the side , above the river.
Picture
One of the Tunnels cutting through the gorge - Heather Lee standing below the hanging rocks of the cliff face.
Picture
Fall on the trails of the Othello Provincial Park- as the last leaves are falling

Comments

03/31/2014 11:14pm

Particularly Useful information, this really is each excellent checking out for, have got completely a few wonderful crucial concentrates in addition to When i eat some brand-new products from it likewise.

04/05/2014 11:43pm

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

04/18/2014 2:06am

Quality content is the main to interest the visitors to pay a visit the web site, that's what this web page is providing

06/06/2014 3:48pm

I want to to thank you for this wonderful read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to look at new things you post�

06/20/2014 6:02pm

There's definately a great deal to find out about this issue. I really like all the points you made

06/29/2014 9:52am

Nice answer back in return of this difficulty with firm arguments and describing the whole thing on the topic of that

10/10/2015 1:42am

I am very pleased to be accepted in the Office or largest herbal medicine company in Tasikmalaya this, hopefully I can be successful here amin.

10/11/2015 5:31pm

O God, please succeed because I was as young as possible, both parents also live the I amin:)

10/16/2015 12:07am

Trusted Herbal Medicine Center Green World rests on the development of traditional Chinese medicinal herb excellence, led the development of the traditional medicine business scale and strengthening the international position of the Chinese medicine in the world of traditional medicine.

10/17/2015 1:33am

I would like to team up with google, because I wanted to utilize the google keyword so that I'm at rank 1 all.

10/26/2015 7:02pm

Today we wish are friends with me o allah, may the sale I exceed 100 bottles so that the salary I ride again Amin:)

11/10/2015 7:59pm

The cause of the high liver cancer cases in countries that are still developing is the high hepatitis B and C cases in those countries, including Indonesia.

12/15/2015 10:16pm

Haemorrhoids is a swelling that occurs in a rut the rectum. Swelling that contains blood vessels that dilate.

Your child has difficulty feeding? quiet, starting from now you as a parent do not have to worry with such circumstances.

12/27/2015 7:00am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specially the remaining section :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.

08/08/2016 5:29am

Mostly all are using and visiting this blog for better and wonderful points about expensive piece of rail line construction in the world. I am very happy to found daveleephotography blog ever, thank you.

08/09/2016 9:55am

Good quality photography and all the other important thing is really an amazing thing for all the people. I think that the people can make their life is important for us and we can make our life really great.

01/19/2017 1:55am

Thanks for great words :)

01/19/2017 12:16pm

The Federal Trade Commission commands that the credit authorities give everybody a duplicate of their credit report upon demand yearly. Your credit report gives data from each of the three credit departments, Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. Once equipped with your score, you have a major preferred standpoint when looking for that new auto credit.